Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grilled Chicken and Romaine

As I was scanning the March issue of Bon Appetit magazine I saw a recipe for Grilled Chicken and Romaine with Caper Dressing (click to go to Epicurious to see the recipe). I had never heard of grilling lettuce and although I don't have a grill, it sounded really good so I thought I'd give it a try with my grill pan. The only thing I changed about the recipe was using balsamic vinegar in place of the Sherry wine vinegar. The shallot and capers made the dressing very strong but grilling mellowed out the flavors and the chicken was very juicy and flavorful. The grilled lettuce was good as well but definitely different. I really liked it but Matt wasn't a big fan. I probably won't make this dish again but I will definitely use the idea of marinating chicken in a good salad dressing before grilling it. In the future when I have a grill, it would be easy to douse some dressing on romaine hearts and grill them up for an unusual side dish at a BBQ. I was going to make some pesto risotto to go alongside this dish but ended up just making plain risotto, cooking the arborio rice with chicken broth, but adding a little at a time and stirring a lot. It turned out really good!

No comments: