Friday, May 2, 2008

Greek Tabbouleh Salad

My mom sent me a couple of boxes of Near East Taboule and I followed the directions on the back of the box to make this Greek Tabbouleh (I no idea why it's spelled taboule on the box) Salad. I added four sliced, grilled chicken breasts to the salad so it would work as a main dish at the potluck luncheon I went to. It was a good, healthy lunch. Wheat, vegetables, chicken--quite the nutritionally packed combination. I made this the night before and refrigerating it overnight seemed fine. I would probably double the lemon juice next time. I threw out the box but this is the recipe from their webiste (I've starred my changes):

GREEK TABOULE SALAD
1 package (5.25-ounce) NEAR EAST Taboule Wheat Salad Mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped*
4 grilled chicken breasts, sliced*
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Romaine lettuce leaves (for serving)
Lemon wedges (for serving)

In large bowl, combine wheat salad mix and contents of Spice Sack. Stir in 1 cup boiling water and oil. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir cheese, tomato, cucumber, chicken, basil and lemon juice into wheat mixture. Cover; chill 2 hours before serving. Serve with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.

No comments: