Monday, April 21, 2008

Oven-Toasted Sandwiches

Oven-toasted sandwiches were one of my mom's "go-to snacks" when my brothers or I were having a bunch of friends over. You can just mix and match your meats, cheeses, vegetables, and dressing. This week I used turky, ham, provolone, cheddar and Italian dressing but I think it would have been even better with a ranch dressing. My favorite was when my mom would make the roast beef with provolone and Italian dressing. There are endless combinations! Here's what you'll need:

1 loaf Italian Bread
1 pound deli meat (roast beef, turkey, ham)
1/2 pound cheese (provolone is my favorite)
1 tomato
1 green pepper
1 onion
Italian Dressing

Cut bread in half. Drizzle dressing on bottom and top half of bread. Layer meats, cheeses, and vegetables. Drizzle more dressing on top of filling. Put top half on sandwich and wrap in foil. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until warmed through and cheese is melted.

I served the sandwiches with a great salad I copied from my friend Andrea. Spinach, bacon, cranberries, and avocado. Great combination!

No comments: