Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tortellini with Vegetables

Trader Joe's has a pesto tortellini that I've been wanting to try. This is what I did with it.

1 16-oz package dried pesto-filled tortellini
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
handful of baby carrots, or one carrot, chopped
1 head of broccoli florets
olive oil
1 26-oz jar marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Marinara)

Cook tortellini according to directions. In large pan, saute onion and carrots in 2 T olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add broccoli florets to pan and add about 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan to help the florets steam for a couple of minutes. Continue sauteing about 5 additional minutes. Add jar of marinara sauce to pan and mix well to incorporate. Add cooked tortellini and warm until everything is heated through. I served this with parmesan cheese and garlic bread (1/4 c butter mixed with one clove garlic, minced, spread on 4 slices Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane, then toasted in the oven). This was a good way to have this tortellini, which is always easy. Next time I think I'll add a jar of roasted red peppers to the sauce to make it even heartier. I really like this pesto tortellini.

No comments: