Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fake Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas

Here is a quick version of unauthentic Jerk Chicken. It's spicy and flavorful and a different way to cook chicken breasts!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
juice of one lime
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Tablespoons Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

Shake all ingredients in container or plastic bag. Refrigerate at least one hour. Grill! I used my indoor grill pan and grilled the chicken breasts about 5 minutes per side.

A traditional Jamaican side dish is rice and peas, which is really rice with kidney beans. It's delicious because you cook the rice with coconut milk. This is the recipe I used but I made some changes. Use whole green onions (scallions), not a regular onion. Just put two scallions in the pot with the liquid and when the rice is done you can remove them or eat them if you'd like. I didn't use the liquid from the can of beans. I added enough water to the coconut milk to make five cups of liquid. I didn't add the tablespoon of oil, and I used a jalapeno because I couldn't find a scotch bonnet. After I added the rice to the boiling liquid, I put the lid on the pot and turned the heat to low. It took about 20 minutes to cook. This is a good almost-Jamaican meal.

No comments: