Friday, February 22, 2008

Vegetable Lasagna

I adapted this meal from this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. I made one big lasagna in a 9x13 dish instead of individual lasagnas, which I'm sure would be darling and delicious. This recipe does take some time in terms of prepping the vegetables. I did the chopping in the morning when I had a little bit of time. Then, during Jack's afternoon nap I cooked the vegetables and assembled the lasagna. While the vegetables were cooking, I assembled the first layers of the lasagna. I used the great time-saving no-cook lasagna noodles. The first time I made this I used garbanzo beans and I wasn't a huge fan of them in the dish. This time I used white kidney beans which I fork mashed a little bit before I layered them in the lasagna. I prefer the kidney beans. Mashing them a little gave the bean layer a nice, creamy texture in the lasagna. I used a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach instead of frozen. I did not make my own tomato sauce and instead used a 24 oz can of Trader Joe's marinara sauce. Also, I used 2 instead of 3 cups of Mozarella and divided the cheese among the layers.

My layers were:
sauce
noodles
beans
spinach
cheese
noodles
sauce
vegetables
sauce
cheese
noodles
sauce
cheese (Moz & Parm)

I covered the lasagna with foil and cooked it at 350 for 40 minutes and then uncovered and cooked for about 10 minutes more. I love this dish! The different vegetables give it so much flavor. I'd like to try it with fresh pasta and homemade sauce some day when I have tons of time :). One of the best things about making lasagna is the leftovers. I can't wait for lunch today!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi you dont know me but I saw your blog and I love it! Thank you so much for doing this!! I was just wondering what vegetables do you use in the vegetable lasagna?

Andrea Hatch said...

Omigosh I LOVE this lasagna. It's definitely going to be a family favorite.