Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mom's Chicken, Rice, Tomato Dish

This is a dish my mom said she made often when she and my dad lived in Philadelphia where my dad was going to law school and my mom was working as a speech therapist in the schools. I made it from memory after watching my mom make it, so please make any suggestions, Mom.
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 onion
garlic powder to taste
1 green pepper
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 cup white rice

In a dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add chicken and saute about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic powder and cook about 5 minutes more, until onion begins to get tender. Add green pepper and cook about 5 minutes more. Add mushrooms and cook about 2 minutes longer. Mix in tomatoes and cook until everything is heated through. Mix in one cup of rice. Cover dutch oven and place in 350 degree oven. It usually takes about 30 minutes to finish cooking the rice. This is a really satisfying meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the recipe pretty close but I pulled out the original so here goes.

1 whole chicken breast (2 halves), deboned and cubed
(shake the chicken in a plastic bag with a little flour, salt, and pepper, if desired)
2 chopped tomatoes
1 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, diced
1 c uncooked rice
2 c chicken broth
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Few drops of Tabsco
Asparagus tips to garnish

Brown chicken in oil. (I think we used bacon if we had it.) Add onions and cook until tender. Add tomato, grn pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Stir fry for 2 min. Add salt and pepper. Mix. Add broth and rice. Cook, covered for about 1/2 hour or until rice is tender. Add a couple of asparagus spears the last 10 minutes to steam.

It seems that I added a couple of shakes of tabasco sauce to give it a kick.

I would cook this after coming home from the Farmer's Market in South Philadelphia on Saturdays. The mushroom man had fingernails on his right hand that were about 5 inches long and he would take his hand (with those long fingernails) and scoop them up and place them in a brown paper sack. I surely washed them well when I came home.

Anonymous said...

I just made the Chicken, tomato and rice dish. I followed your Mom's directions, as I had a bunch of fresh tomatos to use up. Absolutely delicious dinner. I topped it with some shredded Mozzarella when serving. Thank you for a wonderful recipe.