Monday, July 28, 2008

Strawberry Pie

I thought I'd take advantage of strawberry season and make a strawberry pie. I stumbled across this recipe for strawberry pie and was sold on the idea of a shortbread crust but I didn't want to make a filling requiring gelatin. So, I tried this recipe for the filling. As I was reading the reviews on the filling recipe, I read something about spreading melted chocolate on strawberry pie crusts so they don't get soggy. Strawberries, chocolate, and a cookie crust? That seemed like a fantastic idea to me. I doubled the crust recipe and I was glad I did. It was difficult for me to even cover the pan with the doubled amount. I baked it and then spread on melted chocolate. I followed the filling recipe exactly and it turned out okay. It just seemed too jammy for me. I think this is a preference thing. If you like a jammy strawberry pie, the recipe seems great. Maybe I should try one with gelatin next time. Don't think I didn't eat the pie, though. I couldn't get enought of that crust! The chocolate makes the pie really rich and I think it might be too rich an addition for a lot of people, but I loved it. The combination of the cookie crust and the melted chocolate . . .my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

No comments: