Friday, June 6, 2008

Rice and Beans

Well, to change things up a bit I thought I'd try a meal of rice and beans. This wasn't as low cost a meal as it could have been since I used canned beans instead of dried and, I also added a can of RoTel, but this was a satisfying, meatless meal. This is what I did:

1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 onion, chopped
2 T olive oil
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can RoTel (diced tomatoes with green chilis)
Cumin
Chili Powder

Heat olive oil on medium heat in skillet, add garlic and onion, and saute until onion softens (about 3 minutes). Add beans and saute about 5 minutes more. Add Rotel, a couple of shakes of cumin and chili powder, stir and heat through. Serve over rice.

When I made slippery shrimp on Wednesday, I made extra rice and served the beans over the rice. I topped mine with some cheese and would have added guacamole, but I had an unfortunate run-in with a knife while making guac earlier this week so I'm avoiding avocados at the moment (Reminder to self: Put the avocado on the cutting board! Do not hold it in your hand, Ashley!) There are so many ways to make rice and beans. If anyone has a favorite, post it or send it my way!

No comments: