Monday, May 12, 2008

Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa

Thank you Jenni, for sending me the recipe for Cafe Rio's Pork Barbacoa. I decided to take a stab at it this weekend and this is what I did:

3-5 lb Pork Roast
1 ½ cans Dr. Pepper (or Coke)
½ c. sugar
7oz can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced garlic

Remove the chilies (save for future use, you can freeze them) from adobo sauce. Blend Dr. Pepper, sugar, adbobo sauce (rinse the can with some of the dr. pepper to get as much sauce as possible), mustard, cumin, and garlic in a blender until well mixed. Place pork in crock pot and pour sauce over it. Cook for 4-6 on high or 7-9 hours on low. Carefully turn roast over halfway through. With about an hour left (when cooking on low) shred pork and let finish cooking in sauce.

The pork turned out delicious. I can't say that it was very much like Cafe Rio's but it was very sweet and tasty. I served the pork in salads with the lime rice and creamy cilantro dressing that I used for Cafe Rio Chicken Salads.

1 comment:

Andrea Hatch said...

Wow, my mouth is watering....I have to try this recipe.