Monday, May 12, 2008

Sweet Mango Cafe

This weekend we tried a Jamaican restaurant in DC called Sweet Mango Cafe. Before we even got into the restaurant we could smell and see the smoke from all the meat being grilled. The Jerk Chicken was excellent--juicy and so spicy with a lot of extra sauce. I wouldn't really know if it tasted like "real" Jerk Chicken but Matt, who lived in Jamaica for two years, gave it his approval. The rice and peas were really good, too. I also happen to love the cabbage dish that is served as a side with Jamaican meals and Sweet Mango's was good but I have to say that the cabbage dish at Island Spice, the excellent Jamacian place in San Diego, is my favorite! I also missed the fried plantains that come with the meals at Island Spice meals so next time we go to Sweet Mango, I'll have to order some on the side. The food at Sweet Mango is also really reasonably priced--they are really generous with the portions. I ordered the large, white meat Jerk entree. It was $12 and fed me three times! If you want to try some great Jamaican food, or just want a unique dining experience, head to Sweet Mango Cafe, located directly across from the Georgia Avenue/Pentworth metro stop in NW DC. And, if you happen to be in San Diego, give Island Spice a try.

No comments: