Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Monte Cristo in Puff Pastry

A couple of weeks when my parents were in town, we ate at Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria. George Washington ate at Gadsby's--a very historical meal! I had a monte cristo wrapped in puff pastry. It was so good. I must say, though, I love all monte cristo sandwiches! I thought I would try to replicate it with our leftover Easter ham. In a sheet of thawed puff pastry, I spread dijon mustard, then layered ham and swiss cheese. I folded the pastry over and sealed it with a fork. I baked it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. It was a good little dinner but not nearly as good as at the restaurant. I needed to use much more ham and cheese so it was a little more substantial. It kind of ended up tasting like one of those ham and cheese filled breakfast croissants. I did serve it with a little raspberry jam on the side--I always love dipping monte cristos into jam. And really, how can puff pastry covered in jam not be good?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley
I came across your blog being a friend of a friend etc. I just want to tell you how excited I am to see this. I LOVE to cook but get bored with my day to day recipes and what a great way to try new ones. I hope you don't mind me checking your blog for some good recipes. I have already seen a few I really want to try! Thanks for doing this!

Ashley McNair said...

Wow! Thanks so much for checking out my blog! If you have any go to recipes, please send them my way!