Friday, March 7, 2008

Chicken Chilaquiles

I was determined to make this dish exactly according to the recipe. But, I had some trouble finding canned tomatillos. So, instead of making the sauce, I ended up using a can of green chile enchilada sauce, which I think is the flavor they were going for. I couldn't find Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers either. I used the Mexican blend cheese I already had but I'd like to try it with just the Monterey Jack. I really like the corn tortillas in this dish (I normally use flour for most Mexican dishes) and this is a good change from regular enchiladas. The next time I make this, I will add sauce to the middle layer (it seemed a little dry) and use more cheese. Here is the original recipe:

Chicken Chilaquiles
from Cooking Light Magazine

2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 11-oz can tomatillos, drained
1 4.5-oz can chopped green chiles, drained
12 6-inch corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 375
Combine chicken, green onions, 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Place milk and next three ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
Heat tortillas according to package directions. Pour 1/3 cup tomatillo mixture into bottom of an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 corn tortillas in dish, and top with half of chicken mixture. Repeat layer with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture, ending with tortillas.
Pour remaining 1 1/2 cups tomatillo mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments: