Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lemon Meringe Cupcakes

First off, please do a Google Image Search for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes so you can see how cute these cupcakes can really be. My piping didn't turn out the way I wanted to but you get the idea. This recipe is from a little magazine called "Crazy for Cupcakes" that my mom picked up at the grocery store and sent to me. I bought lemon curd at the store and thought it was good and easier than making it, but I'm sure homemade would be better. Here's a recipe that might work. I made regular sized cupcakes but I think the presentation would be better in the jumbo size. I couldn't find a lemon cake mix so used a vanilla and added lemon juice and zest but I couldn't taste it at all. One of my problems with the piping was that I didn't beat the meringue enough, and I didn't work fast enough when I piped it on, all my squeezing kind of took the life out of the meringue, I think. But, they still were a great spring treat, and the meringue on top is much different than your normal frosting. Here's the recipe:

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

1 package lemon cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
3/4 cup prepared lemon curd
4 egg whites, at room temp
6 Tablespoons sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 9 jumbo muffin cups with paper baking cups.
  2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Increase oven temp to 375.
  3. Use serrate knife to cut off tops of cupcakes even with tops of baking cups (Do not remove paper baking cups). Scoop out small hole in center of each cupcake with teaspoon; fill hole with generous tablespoon lemon curd. Replace cupcake tops.
  4. Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Continue beating while gradually adding sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe meringue onto top of each cupcake, or spread meringue over cupcakes and use small spatula to create peaks.
  5. Place cupcakes on baking sheet. Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until peaks of meringue are golden.

Variation: This recipe also makes 24 standard cupcakes. Line muffin pans with paper baking cups; prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions. Scoop out teaspoon-size hole in each cupcake and fill with generous teaspoon lemon curd. Pipe or sread about 1/3 cup meringue over each cupcake; bake as directed above.

1 comment:

Littleshortstacks said...

I think these look delicious! I am going to have to make some...